Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Final Frontier

Me and three of my piers were asked to research if technology helped classrooms based on Peggy A. Ertmer's article, "Teacher Pedagogical Beliefs: The Final Frontier in Our Quest for Technology Integration" Here is our final project.
The article is about the effects of integrating technology into a classroom.  Many issues are discussed such as: the teacher's abilities to use these new technologies, Student's performance with technology, and even the student's attention span.  The most important issue is Teacher's not being exposed to the technology that the children of this generation are used to using almost all day long; for example cell phones were as ordinary to have for children 12 years old while teachers who have been teaching for a career for a while now (probably around 30 or more years or age) did not have a cell phone until they were grown up with their own job to pay for it.  The article also talked about collaboration vs cooperation.  A great point made was that in a collaboration participants all work together step by step in an combined effort; as opposed to cooperation where participants split up a task and solve each problem on their own, missing out on parts of the hands on experience.

The collaboration was a great way to solve research this topic because as we worked together whenever one person did not know how to solve a problem or had question they could just ask a group member and 90% of the time the question would be easily answered.  A great way to say this, two heads are better then one but in this case four heads are better than one. I actually enjoyed working on this project and learning more on the aspects of teaching.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome description of the article and the assignment. Your PowerPoint was VERY informational and persuasive. You hit a lot of points I didn't even think about! like things being backed up on the computer as opposed to grade books. I liked the transitions, but I think you used too many of them on the titles and pictures. I felt like I was clicking forever! Other than that I think you did a great job explaining technology use in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you had an amazing presentation, it was very informative, and you showed that you had very good knowledge of the article, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your presentation! The photos and images were awesome. I found this power point to be very informative. I am glad you enjoyed the group work, I have usually ended up finding that in a group there is always someone who has to do the majority of the work. I think it is nice to see that you had a positive experiece with it.

    ReplyDelete